[aprssig] A new APRS possibility

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Dec 9 13:35:11 EST 2007

Mark Earle wrote:
> David Fleming wrote:
>> How would I extract the data to my hard drive.? Would I just copy the
>> CD to a folder on the hard drive or is it more complicated than that?
>>

> Click Start
> Select RUN
> Click Browse
>
> Navigate to c:\program files\street atlas 9.0
> Find the extract0 program, double click that, then press run.
>
> A menu will come up letting you choose ALL states, or only 1 state, or
> you can "check" boxes for more than one state. For any state you do
> not check, you can see roads in that sate but only zoomed far out.
>
> This procedure is also explained in the product's help.
>
> Once you click all the states you wish, click OK (I think, it's an
> obvious button below the state selection).
>
> Next time you run with out a CD you should be impressed how fast it
> operates!

You must initially install STreet Atlas with the "Custom" option rather
than with the "Default" option.    When you do this, an additional
program "Extractor" appears in the Delorme Start Menu group.  [In SA9's
heyday a decade ago, laptop hard disks were far smaller than today.
Extractor allowed you to save disk space by copying only the areas of
interest to the hard drive.]

Extractor is used once to copy the CD data to the hard disk.   When you
run it, you get a display tha looks like a Windows File Explorer
directory tree that allows you to selectively copy individual countys,
states, metro areas (or the entire US) to the hard drive.  Extractor
then copies the selected items (normally to a directory located under
the main SA9 program directory, and then modifies some files in the SA9
program directory to tell SA to look on the hard disk for those regions.

 A full install of the entire US adds about 542MB of data to create a
total footprint (SA9 program + data) of about 1.1GB.   Another space
saver in the initial "Custom" install of SA9 is to opt out of the
install of 'Points Of Interest" (Gas stations, motels, restaurants, etc)
which saves another 280MB or so.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map