[aprssig] Re: Regional Voice Alert VHF/UHF Plan B.

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 14:39:02 EST 2007

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:
>> Tie it all to a  embedded PC like the Koolu
>>
>>   http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4833800024.html
>>

> Or even cheaper:
>
>   http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS6372429785.html

For the same price, you can get the Walmart $200 Linux PC.   This is a
"real" PC, made by Everex,  with standard I/Os and packaging based on a
low-power micro-ITX motherboard packaged in a midi-tower case far larger
than it needs to be.  [The marketeers at WalMart determined their
customers wouldn't take it seriously if it was packaged in a really
small case. ]

For our purposes, the larger case means one can mount other stuff like
TNCs, soundcard interfaces and transceivers inside the case, in a manner
similar to what I did here for my combo APRS server/Echolink node and
APRN receiving system:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/EPIAserver>

The Walmart PC comes preloaded with a modified version of Ubuntu Linux,
but it will run Windows 2000 or XP if you choose to to wipe the hard disk.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps