[aprssig] Regional Voice Alert VHF/UHF Plan C.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 5 12:44:45 EST 2007

OK, plan C (for the alternate APRS local channel to support
priority local emergency and special event operations).

This one is just a single VHF radio, and a KPC-3+TNC and a
simplex voice recorder (About $10?).  Lets see if this works...

1) RX on 144.99, TX on 144.39 normal digi
2) Voice recorder records any PL100 VOICE on input
3) KPC3+ mute ckt ignores recording of PL100 packets
4) Voice recorder repeats only voice on 144.39

This gives:
A) Priority to local APRS data on 144.39
B) QRM free higher reliability local APRS input
C) Ability for VAlert to cover broad area
D) All of this on Band-A of D700 or using only a single band
APRS radio.
E) D700 band B's can support all other comms.
F) Lets local APRS operators shift 144.39 +600 in support of
this emergency event or special event and have priority
communicaitons which includes the occasional area-wide Voice
Alert.  All on Band A of a D700 or D7 or on a single band VHF
APRS radio.

Bob, Wb4APR

dedicated
> APRS support system using a pair of VHF and UHF transceivers
and
> KPC-3+ TNC is to configure them for this arrangement:
>
> 1) VHF and TNC Acts as 144.99 ==> 144.39 digi
> 2) UHF input gives regional Voice Alert out on 144.39
> 3) Mobile VAlert from 144.99 goes to UHF voice output
>
> Here is what you get:
>
> Netcon or anyone can call everyone in the region on Voice
Alert
> via the UHF input.  Mobiles can QSY their A-Band and APRS to
the
> 144.99 input (keeping 144.39 output so they still see
> everything).  But being on the 144.99 local input, their
packets
> have 95% less QRM and are much more reliable and when they are
> digipeated onto 144.39, they get local priority.
>
> While their mobile TX is on 144.99 (where the channel is now
95%
> clear), any of their Voice Alert transmissions on their radio
> side will not QRM anyone on 144.39, but their voice will be
> relayed on the UHF output.
>
> So these APRS operators now have full PRIORITY local APRS
> digital communications AND local wide area APRS VOICE (back
> channel) communications on the A side of their radio and their
> side can still be used for their other needs.
>
> Oops.. I guess they need to listen to the UHF channel to hear
> the other non-simplex APRS voice Alert comms from the cross
band
> repeat.  So this kinda takes away from the freedom of band B.
>
> Hummh..  Need a plan C.  Next message...
>
> Bob, WB4APR

another
> > idea to greatly improve APRS performance in a SPECIFIC
> > geographical area, such as to support your local ARES/RACES
> > county communications:
> > 1) Install the above cross band repeater for voice alert
> > 2) Add a DIGI at the same location on 144.99 (if avail)
> >
> > When a local net is activated, the call goes out on Voice
> alert
> > asking everyone to QSY to the local APRS packet channel.
And