[aprssig] WIDE2-2,WIDE3-3

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Aug 29 10:06:03 EDT 2007

Joe NE3R wrote...

> This looks like quite a path, when would it be appropriate to use a
> path like this? ...APU25N,WIDE2-2,WIDE3-3...

 I've got to agree that the "clueless" description applies. The "APU25N"
is of course the destination and tells everyone else that the station in
question is using UI-View32 - which means you should be able to send an APRS
message there. Perhaps a message suggesting a better path will be enough to
bring about a change. Yours was probably the worst example near you, but
here are some other "less than ideal paths" in use near you...

RELAY,WIDE2-2 from a mobile (* KB8SCR-9)
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 from a base station
WIDE3-3 from a mobile
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 from a mobile
WIDE2-1,WIDE2-1 from a mobile... not terrible, but why not just WIDE2-2?
WIDE2-2,WIDE3-3 from a mobile
RELAY,WIDE from a mobile
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 from a mobile
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 from a mobile

Perhaps a 3-hop path isn't the worst of sins, but it is longer than the
recommended path.

* the station using RELAY (KB8SCR-9) was apparently digi'd by N3KTX-2 which
claims to support WIDE2-2 & MDn-N... or could the RELAY have been from a
digi that doesn't do callsign substitution?

www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KB8SCR-9

KB8SCR-9>S9RT0X,RELAY,N3KTX-2,K3XY-3,WIDE2*,qAo,KA1UDX-1:`i62nrH>/]"56}

I don't know is if KB8SCR-9 was always using RELAY, but in the past it has
used the digis listed at the following URL.
www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusage-KB8SCR-9

No matter what, if you or anyone else observes a station using a clueless or
obsolete path, once in a while try and spend a few minutes trying to contact
the station . You won't always meet with success, but sometimes you will be
able to convince them to update their settings.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH