[aprssig] WIDE2-2,WIDE3-3

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Aug 29 07:11:46 EDT 2007

In retrospect, it may have been better if we would have made the WIDEn-n
counter go UP rather than DOWN.  Since it's impossible to put a negative
number in there, everyone would have started at WIDEn-0.  Then as the packet
moved along, it would have increased the 'n' value.  Digipeaters along the
way could simply not digipeat Wn-3 or Wn-4.  Problem is now that since we
don't know what they started at, we can't simply use the SSID to restrict
the number of hops.  One guy's packet may have started as w2-1 and another
as w7-7.  And of course there are other ways to mess with the system that I
won't say here to let the cat out of the bag.  Dunno where I'm going with
this, sorta like crying over spilt milk.

It'd be nice where a digipeeater owner could spec that he'd only digipeat
packets that originated X hops away.  The digi's with dense user populations
would use lower numbers and rural digipeaters may choose to allow more.
Anyone wishing to go further would use direct paths.

Also, if Pete Loveall's ax25 spec were used (specifically where there's only
one digipeater element), we could avoid abusive multielement paths.

And for the entertainment of those of you still reading.... I drive a Honda
Element... the ugly duckling square boxy car.  It's the perfect car for a
ham antenna.... when I'm driving down the road it's a "driven element".
lol.  I suppose I could make it more directional by towing another one
behind me... adding a parasitic element.  Comments such as these are known
affectionately by my fam as "Wes jokes".

Wes