[aprssig] Waypoints to GPS Receiver: Navigation

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Aug 27 22:48:30 EDT 2007

If you're describing the condition where new waypoints get numbers added
to the end, then that's a Garmin bug (feature?).  Some models do that
when receiving NMEA waypoints, but not when receiving Garmin waypoints.
  That's why the T2 in Garmin mode doesn't exhibit the problem.

I have to hand it to Magellan for making a really seriously simple
waypoint input protocol.  Theirs is based on the NMEA GPWPL format, but
extends it with altitude, symbol, comment, and a couple of other things.
  Garmin does more, but each Garmin model (and different firmware
revisions for the same model) take different formats and have different
(unpublished) restrictions on what characters they take and what they'll
do if they don't like a waypoint name.  All of the Magellans just work,
they're not picky about special characters, they're accepting of what
they can't display, and they have large comment fields.  Their symbol
selection sucks, though.

At least Garmin seems to be settling on a smaller number of formats in
their newer units.  Not counting the panel-mount aviation line, which
uses an entirely different protocol...

Scott
N1VG