[aprssig] APRS Objects

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Aug 27 21:03:06 EDT 2007

> Subject: [aprssig] APRS Objects
> Am I doing this right?
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=FMH
>
> NE3R>APX190,WIDE2-2:;FMH
*280032z3925.41N/07724.93WhFrederick
> Memorial Hospital

Depends on what you mean by right?

Here is my take on it.

1) Yes it is the correct format for an object.
2) From Frederick Maryland that object will be seen in 4 states,
MD, VA, WV, PA at least depending on how high your originating
station is.
3) Since everyone in those states knows there is probably a
hospital in Frederick Maryland, I don't think they are
interested in seeing this from so far away.

4) The only people who need to see this object are those in the
local area.

Therefore, I would cut back the path length to either a direct
packet, or at most one  hop.  Otherwise the object might be
considerd as spam by the other 200 people who will receive it,
day-in,day-out forever

I think it is a good idea to keep local info local.

But wihtout knowing your intent, of course, you could be trying
to do something entirely differerent...

Just my opinion.
Bob
WB4APR