[aprssig] whatever happened to....

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 05:01:38 EDT 2007

Hmmmm...

As a D7 owner and user....

Have you actualy ever tried to change ANY of the D7's parameters on the
fly, "quickly"?

As in most competitive rallies, even if they start them minutes apart,
at some point you'll get two or three bunched up together coming past.
Not only that, they would also pass each other at times, so simpley
incrementing/decrementing the ID, is not an option.  And that's assuming
they start in numerical order too.

That's only realy doable with a PC attachced running something like
Link700, and I don't know how successful that would be.   Even using the
messaging facility is dificult enough, I know I've tried it for just
such a purpose.  Forget about a stand alone D7, it's not viable for that
sort of use.   And in a tree infested environment, you'd need several
digi's about just to get the info back to raly control, with all the
time delays that entails.

Someone else some time ago mentioned using bar code readers and trackers
at known fixed locations.   An equivalent would be a numeric pad for an
operator to just key in the competitors number into, as they past.
They'd need a collegue too, to write it down as backup for safety cover.

73

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk