[aprssig] Which Weather Station for a Mountain Top Digi

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Aug 19 20:54:11 EDT 2007

I've heard mixed things about the AAG 1-wire station's reliability in
harsh conditions.  I think it probably depends on how well you seal it up.

I didn't know they were making the T-238 again.  If you don't need a
local display, the Tracker2 will do the same thing, plus quite a bit
more.  In 1-wire mode it doesn't support the baro sensor yet, though.
You can use it with an Ultimeter 2000 series station too (much better
quality, IMO) or the LaCrosse WS2300 series if you're on a budget, but I
think the durability is probably no better than the 1-wire station.

The Tracker2 has the same power save option, and comes with a built-in
20 amp solid-state relay so it'll power any reasonable rig without extra
switching hardware.  Current draw is < 20 mA.  It's $85, assembled and
tested with a case.  I've only got a few units on hand until the first
production batch is done in a few weeks, though, and no more
through-hole beta test kits.

You also get internal temperature and supply voltage (every packet, if
you want, or at selectable intervals), WIDEn-N digi, and remote command
capability.  Of course, if you've got the radio off most of the time,
you can't send it commands.  Unless you set an extra-long power-on delay
and know exactly when to send the commands, anyway.

It's at <https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php>.

Scott
N1VG