[aprssig] Re: Messaging stuff

sv1uy sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
Wed Aug 15 04:50:10 EDT 2007

>Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:36:00 -0600
>From: Earl Needham <needhame1 at plateautel.net>
>Subject: [aprssig] Messaging stuff
>To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org

>>At 11:04 AM 8/14/2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>>I've can only imagine the joy of keying in a message on a D7. The HamHUD has
>>canned messages, but using the whiz wheel, custom messages can be entered.

>        Yeah, but it's a pain in the neck, especially while
>driving.  I suspect it's no easier than using the D7 for messaging,
>and may actually be more difficult.
>
>        I actually have given up on messaging while driving, but
>occasionally somebody will send me a message while I am moving.  When
>that happens, I sometimes try to find a place to stop to answer it,
>but usually just ignore it until I stop maybe 3 or 4 hours later.
>
>        7 3
>        Earl
>
>KD5XB -- Earl Needham

Hi Earl,

Although I respect your dislike for the messaging capabilities of the D7/D700
radios I have to tell you that I use my D700 everyday in my car when I go to
work and back home and I do not find it difficult to reply with a short OK or
73 or back home or qrl even when I drive. When I want to type in a long reply
I wait until I stop at the traffic lights. Really you are not supposed to do
anything when you drive though. If you get the special mike pf your D700, it
is like a normal (more or less) mobile phone keyboard and it also has lights.
Even if you have long sight you can still see the labels on the mike.
I personally find it very easy to type a reply message using the special mike
of my D700. Also I use my D7 when I walk and I never had any problem typing
messages to it. All you need is a GPS really (although there are ways to do
without a GPS when you ar portable and you have full APRS capability.

As for the driving part of APRS have you ever tried Voice Alert? It is a very
good idea.

There are many things you can do with your D700 or D7.

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
AX25 PBBS: SV1UY at SV1UY.ATH.GRC.EU