[aprssig] D710 GPS Port

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Tue Aug 14 18:21:05 EDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:55 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

> Bluetooth is nice for convenience (you're right about the
> complexity and development cost, though) but in a situation where
> you need reliability, I can't see adding more wireless links and
> batteries into the mix.

Yes, when I'm doing my ham radio stuff, whenever I need reliability,
I avoid that pesky radio stuff.  ;)

That said, I agree with you about Bluetooth.  There's bugs in almost
every implementation of Bluetooth too - there's enough problems with
the Kenwoods and the ilk without adding a buggy Bluetooth stack.  And
don't get me started about implementations of even simple protocols
without the ability to perform field upgrades (think D7, APRS, and
long messages - or the lack of SmartBeaconing, which I consider a
major bug in any software that doesn't include it, as that software
is doing something stupid and harmful to the network: beaconing a
stationary station as often as a moving one).