[aprssig] D-Star replacement for APRS: [Was: D710 GPS Port]

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 14:17:54 EDT 2007

William McKeehan wrote:
> Has anyone looked at D-Star as a potential replacement for APRS?
>
> It seems to have a lot of the basic functionality.

There are a LOT of technical, organizational and political obstacles to
this ever happening.

Partly as a result of the APRS founders shoe-horning and somewhat
kludging APRS into the protocols, hardware and infrastructure of the
preceding connected-packet era (do I dare use that over-used buzzword
"leverage"?), APRS has succeeded because it has allowed us to do a lot
of "neat stuff" with really cheap existing hardware.    This will *NOT*
be the case with D-Star.    A migration to D-Star will be a wrenching
total transition to *ALL NEW* base stations, mobiles, hand-helds and
repeater infrastructure.

D-Star is not a short-burst packetized transmission format. It's
primarily a digitized voice format that can carry a limited amount of
other data embedded in the main voice data stream.   As a result, the
simple single-frequency store-and-forward "digipeaters" we use on APRS
won't work with it.   You would be faced with coordinating a traditional
full-blown two-frequency "repeater pair", along with using a separate
receiver, transmitter and duplexer, just like present voice
repeaters.    Further , getting more than one repeater hop isn't a
matter of the second repeater hearing the first one, and then
retransmitting what it hears a moment later. It involves a complex
land-mobile-style backbone of links on another band, usually 1200 MHz to
connect repeaters together in real time.

Further, no manufacturer seems to have adopted it, except Icom.

While the only mfr to officially support APRS is Kenwood, at least you
*CAN* add APRS hardware (TNCs, TinyTracks, Open Tracks, etc.) to other
radios.  This is not going to be the case with D-Star which is an
entirely digital modulation technique totally different from the analog
FM we use with APRS packet, that is built-into purpose-built radios.  It
is very unlikely you would be able to add D-Star to any existing radio,
especially hand-helds.

Achieving anything remotely like the coverage of  the current
analog-FM-packet-based APRS network (where just about any FM radio made
in the last 30 years or so can be pressed into duty as a digipeater by
adding a $50 TNC). Duplicating this coverage with D-Star would require
literally tens of millions of dollars of brand-new infrastructure.

Further, the present network reflects the sum total of a lot of small
steps made independently by clubs and individuals.  A nationwide D-Star
"APRS- replacement" infrastructure would require a degree of
coordination (and financial commitment) by clubs and individuals
unprecedented in amateur radio.

My guess is that we will get "islands" of D-Star activity in major
metropolitan areas (where the population density of hams is great enough
to support the major infrastructure investments required) , surrounded
by hundreds (or thousands) of miles of non-coverage.   I.E. the
individual ham or small club in a small mid-western town or rural
Kentucky that threw up an old hand-me-down 2-meter rig and a TNC to fill
in  the APRS network at almost no cost, is NOT going to lay out the
several thousand dollars minimum to put up a D-Star repeater, let alone
the backbone to link it to other D-Star systems.

Before they make this major investment, users are far more likely to use
Internet access from their cellphones to send/display GPS position
reports and send/receive short text messages.  (Envision an APRS-like
application overlaid on Google Maps running on an iPhone-like device.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps