[aprssig] D710 GPS Port

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Aug 14 13:03:23 EDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:

> Bluetooth is so ..   wireless.

and don't forget: so ... expensive.

Those dongles you mention run about $100 each.  That GPS cable is a
bother, but it sure isn't $100 worth of bother.  If you find a module
that doesn't require you to implement the Bluetooth stack, it's still
at least $50 for the component.

Bluetooth is so obscenely complex and expensive, you apparently need
a large development effort so you can use a cheap BT radio and
implement the stack in house, then sell a bazillion of them to recoup
the development costs.

Oh, and that bluetooth peripheral needs power sooner or later, so you
either change/charge batteries, or you plug it up.

I was excited about bluetooth until I gave a serious look at
implementing it with my APRS rig in the truck.  It doesn't look so
good anymore.

-Jason
kg4wsv