[aprssig] Wiki: Ok. I give up.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Aug 13 19:40:26 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 02:54:36PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott at opentrac.org> flavor, containing:
>  I'm sorry - I've been putting off replacing the software, and no one else
>  has admin access to the server.
>
>  I finally got MediaWiki set up.  It's temporarily at wiki.n1vg.net, and will
>  be moved to info.aprs.net shortly.  Hopefully everyone can help with moving
>  the content over, since I don't have any automated way to do that and
>  wouldn't want to just copy all the spam anyway.
>
>  I've restricted anonymous edits, and installed a simple captcha system.  If
>  that proves inadequate there are some other measures that can be implemented
>  - MediaWiki has plenty of extensions and tweaks available.

Excellent!

I've begun migrating some data from the old, but it's tedious, and I'm gonna
let others get in on the act now.

BTW, migrating is not trivial, and one has to be kinda mindful of the
differences between the old and new software.

It is not enough to just cut/paste from the old wiki to the new, because
MediaWiki uses slightly different markup than WikkaWakkaWiki does --- most
notable is the format for marking up internal links.

WikkaWakka:
  [[pagename Descriptive Link Name]]
MediaWiki:
  [[pagename|Descriptive Link Name]]

If you try to use the WikkaWakka format directly, you'll get links to pages
named "pagename Descriptive Link Name" instead of links to "pagename" with
the text "Descriptive Link Name".  Something to watch out for.  I had to move
a handful of pages that were victims of this subtlety.

Two other things:
External links in MediaWiki are done like this:
  [http://host.name/path Descriptive Link Name]
where WikkaWakka used [[ ]] instead.  So when migrating content, make sure to
delete the extra brackets.

External links in WikkaWakka automatically used the URL as the text if there
was no descriptive text.  MediaWiki uses numbers instead if there's nothing
additional, so every time you encounter a link in the old wiki that looks
like [[http://foo.bar.us/url]]] you have to convert it to
[http://foo.bar.us/url http://foo.bar.url] to make it look the same in the new
wiki.

There are numerous other formatting issues to work out properly,and it'll
take some time and effort to get every page looking good.  But with enough
participants,  that should get taken care of eventually.

Oh, there's a configuration niggle, too:  the wiki is currently set to
disallow embedded external images.  The AlohaCircle page, for example, did
that on the old wiki.  To enable that (a potentially dangerous thing unless we
monitor new users carefully), one has to change the $wgAllowExternalImages
option in the MediaWiki config file.