[aprssig] mic-e and the 710

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sun Aug 12 20:10:02 EDT 2007

Can anyone check out the mic-e (ie PTT transmit method) on the 710.  The
d700 radio when used as a mic-e (burst upon unkeying) sometimes delayed up
to 2 seconds from when I unkeyed before re-keying the radio and
transmitting.  It was usually about 1 in 5 to 1 in 7 times when I unkeyed
that it would/will do this.  And when it did this,It was long enough of a
delay that the repeater I was talking on would play the courtesy beep and
the other guy would start talking only to be covered up by my radio finally
getting around to sending the position report.  I _suspect_ this to be
caused by the way the radio gets gps data... sets the LT buffer to GPRMC
then to GPGGA, so it takes two iterations of gps data to get a position with
altitude and speed.  I think that the radio could be in the middle of
collecting GPS data when I unkey and that's the reason for the delay.

Has this been fixed in the 710?

I'm glad to see that the 710 allows us to lock the data port (mini-din) to
one 1/2 of the radio and doesn't follow the mic select.  Does it allow for
PTT sensing as well?  What I mean by this is if I hook an external TNC to
the data jack, does the PTT line on the data jack follow the actual PTT of
the radio?  Does it give me a chance to allow the external TNC to see if the
tnc in the radio says it's on PTT?
Wes
--
In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.