[aprssig] GPS Recommendations Needed

Dave Sloan desloan at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 00:51:05 EDT 2007

Here is another good option.

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
On Behalf Of Amir Findling
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 11:34 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] GPS Recommendations Needed

Using a laptop, in a vehicle with a passenger side airbag, may not be the
safest thing to do.

OTOH, I just checked eBay and they have Garmin 60CS going for about $200.00.
For road, turn-by-turn navigation you'll need City Navigator and perhaps an
external antenna.

I'm using a 60CS in my truck for APRS and it even displays the location of
the stations received on a color screen. Memory is limited to 64 megs so if
planning long trips you may need to reload maps from a laptop but in state,
that is enough.

73 de Amir K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083

K9 Training Officer, Cayuga County Highland SAR,
http://www.cayuganet.org/highlandsar/index.html

K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams www.nysfedsar.org
<http://www.nysfedsar.org/>

1st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org/>

Apprentice Tracker, Joel Hardin Professional Tracking Services,
www.jhardin-inc.org <http://www.jhardin-inc.org/>

Dave Sloan wrote:

Hello,

   I've got a friend KC7GOL that wants to get a GPS for use with APRS. He
would also like to be able to have a screen so that he can read the lat,
long, and altitude. In addition he would like to be able to use the same GPS
for trips with maps loaded in it. He would like to spend less than $200.00
for the GPS. Is there a GPS that would meet these requirements? In stead of
using the GPS for maps I think that he should just use his laptop with one
of the APRS programs loaded. Then connect his GPS, Radio, TNC, and laptop
all together and he would have everything that he wants. Then the
requirements for the GPS would be: NEMA output, and a screen to read the
lat, long, and altitude. This would reduce the price of the GPS
considerably. Now any recommendations on which GPS he should look at that
might even make it in under his $200.00 price range?

TNX & 73,

Dave N0EOP

  _____