[aprssig] D-710 / D-700 Flash

Paul Zawada engineerz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:48:21 EDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Mark Cheavens <mcheavens at usa.net> wrote:
> I am working on a GE Phoenix/Delta project where we take the original
> eeprom and CPU out of the radio and have written our own software
> (with a 9S12 CPU). We can do a LOT with it. All it takes is development time!

I have had similar plans to do the same sort of thing with a Motorola
MCX-1000.  (Unfortunately with two young kids I have zero time to work
on it...)  The MCX-1000 runs on a 68HC11 CPU built into a very
straightforward architecture.  It wouldn't take much to
reverse-engineer it to run one's own code.   To me, this would be an
excellent platform for ham experimentation as there a number of tools
and sources of information that are readily available for 'HC11
development.  The receiver has an excellent front end to boot..  (One
of the best Motorola has ever made IMHO)

Sadly, that project is still a ways off for me since I don't have the
development time.

--zawada