[aprssig] D-710 / D-700 Flash

Mark Cheavens mcheavens at usa.net
Tue Aug 7 14:41:42 EDT 2007

Kenwood is in a real bind because of the cellular block issue. In
order to do an "open source" type user interface they would have to
put the VCO control into a different flash mask to prevent anyone
from altering the RX capabilities. This would of course increase the
development and production costs.

If a group were to form and try to reverse engineer (or start from
scratch) the code, I would HOPE that group would not mention or
tackle the 800Mhz issue. If the Cell phone issue were not imposed
upon the radio industry it would make the possibility of software
defined radio's MUCH easier!

If said group were developed Kenwood MIGHT likely have to move to the
masked CPU. That would preclude newer production (after the change)
from being re-flashed which would not only increase future service
costs, but also increase current prices (since warranty service costs
are figured into the new price).

I am working on a GE Phoenix/Delta project where we take the original
eeprom and CPU out of the radio and have written our own software
(with a 9S12 CPU). We can do a LOT with it. All it takes is development time!

Mark
KC5EVE