[aprssig] RE: [OZAPRS] 434 MHz tracking

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Sun Aug 5 20:49:03 EDT 2007

We can use these technologies, but they are not as easy as you think to use
as reliably.

The problem is that a 50W transmitter on 144 MHz takes commonly about 50mSec
to 500mSec to become stable and up to full power, if they are frequency
agile. It takes less time if you don't care about having two PLL's and the
increase in power consumption and cost.

The data rate of 19,200 means that the data is significantly more
susceptible to noise. Close to 20 times more susceptible, since the energy
per bit is so much less. The performance of 10 mW at 19200 is similar to 0.5
mW at 2M. I am just wondering how many people are using this little power on
APRS :-)

One of the ways to get people to use these new technologies, even with their
issues, is to write a paper for the TAPR DCC, or the TAPR PSR newsletter.

Darryl