[aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 1 10:43:49 EDT 2007

> Subject: RE: [aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail.
> Fixed station use OK, but I hope you're not
> advocating people do all that while driving?
> Sorry, but it had to be said...

I agree with you, that if the display of the D700 is not
properly placed, then diverting one's eyes significantly off the
drivers field of view is not recommended.  Nor is such operation
if it is distracting to the driver.

But, with the remote control head of the D700 prominantly placed
above the steering wheel and clearly in the field of view of the
driver, I have no problem with catching the occassional message
flash across the screen.

Messages are rare, and far less frequent than the number of
times that a good driver should be scanning his instruments
anyway..

This is a hands-off display.  When new messages come in, they
flash on the front panel for 10 seconds.  Plenty of time to see
it without distraction to driving... Your hands never leave the
wheel.

Other's mileage may vary...

Bob, Wb4APR

other