[aprssig] Portable IGate

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Fri Apr 27 11:37:04 EDT 2007

I just equipped my camping trailer with a satellite internet
connection.  I'm going to be setting up a small server to provide
IGate and Digi functionality.  (system also includes plenty of
battery and solar!)

Although it has some obvious uses in an emergency, it will primarily
be used to "fill in" for my truck and man-portable APRS gear when I'm
in the middle of nowhere.  It seems my travels often take me to
places without APRS I-gates (Savannah, GA) and/or digis (Yellowstone
NP).  I figure with some PVC (or maybe one of those cool antenna
masts that Bob posted about last year) I can put up a decent antenna
for a portable station, all the while helping the stray out-of-area ham.

My question and the reason for posting...I know the danger of too
many digis, and will definitely configure things to not act as a digi
when it is not appropriate.  But, as for IGate, the satellite
connection has about a 1 second round-trip latency.  Is that going to
be an issue with dupe prevention or anything else (everything I read
indicates that this should not be a problem whatsoever)?  What's the
symbol for a portable IGate/New-N digi?  :)