[aprssig] Signal Locator WEB page

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 26 17:57:46 EDT 2007

Well, here is the ideal PIC OMNI-DF project in my opinion:

1) an OMNI-DF-on-air request goes out by someone with jamming
2) The Request contains the jammed freq
3) The PIC tunes a D7 or D700 or any other radio to listen
4) The pic notes the signal strength (or none)
4) The pic responds with an OMIN-DF packet

The REQUESTOR now then has on his display (APRSdos, or XASTIR)
the signal reports he needs, and the display shows the
overlapping OMNI-DF reports for instant assessment.  Done.  But
then who has all those cat-capable radios to put around the
county.  Are there any cheap scanners that can be PIC
controlled?

Bob, WB4aPR

powerful
> > techniques are rarely used by most operators.
> >
> > However, if we had a WEB based Direction Finder DISPLAY
system
> > tied into the APRS-IS, then we would not only leverage the
power
> > of APRS DFing, but then ALL ham radio operators in the area
> > could see the developing solution in real time and we would
get
> > 10 times as much data input!
> >
> > Please see the OMNI-Dfin technique in APRS:
> > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html
> >
> > The web page would draw the map with the overlaping signal
> > strength contours reported by APRS packets.  Browser based
> > stations could also enter their report on the same web page
and
> > add to the display of contours.
> >
> > This narrows the area down very rapidly to a mile or so.
> >
> > Any takers?  It really does work.  And all it needs is input
> > from people that have or HAVE NOT heard the signal.  A
reliable