[aprssig] Functional path to hit both WIDE and WIDEn-n digis?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Apr 25 14:45:38 EDT 2007

> significant number of the digis in my area are using
> WIDE or RELAY and not WIDEn-n.  I don't think any
> amount of email is going to convince them to change...

It is incumbent on everyone of us as users of the APRS system to
provide encouragement, and assistance to all sysops to get these
things changed.  These old legacy systems have held us back for
now 15 years, and about 3 years ago, we decided it was time to
move on.  Then New-N Paradigm resulted.

The improvments to the system have been *dramatic*.

See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

If the existing sysops don't want to do anything, we must still
get these legacy systems set to the new paramters or new
volunteers will just have to put up alternate digis.  And users
will have to stop using RELAY,WIDE to discourage their
existance.

While we are at it, have the SYSOPS add the locally-recommended
VOICE repeater objects to their digis, so that travelers see
these reeommendations on the front panel of their radios as they
drive through.

See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

Bob, WB4APR