[aprssig] RE: "Local Info" confusion...

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 24 19:27:25 EDT 2007

>> The UIDIGI digipeater transmitting the originating third party packet
>> format will be identified as an IGATE as soon as UI-View receives the
>> first originating third party packet from it....
>
> Perhaps I missed that in the original thread. The "digi at my elbow" that
> is sending an object for the local repeater is a KPC-3+ not a UIDIGI. The
> originating digi shows as a digi, not an IGate.

UI-View will display the digipeater on the map with a star and an S overlay
at all times. The sequence of events is the UIDIGI will beacon its position
using the digi star with an S overlay using the following beacon text
format:

Beacon1Text = !3438.07NS08630.74W#PHG5630/W2,ALn    Huntsville Alabama

Shortly therafter, the third party beacon as defined earlier will be
transmitted. As soon as UI-View receives that packet, the digipeater is
highlighted with the square box around it. Whne I seen the square box around
7 digipeaters, it was obvious something was not working correctly and the
third party format was changed to avoid this problem in UI-View.

>> When the originating third party packet format was removed from multiple
>> UIDIGI digipeaters, the problem disappeared from UI-View for all stations
>> transmitting an originating third party packet beacon! A third party
>> packet begins with the symbol "}" in the beacon text. Please make sure
>> you
>> are talking about the same type of packet transmission.
>>
>> Here are a couple of examples using the third party format that were
>> programmed remotely to update 7 of the UIDIGI digipeaters:
>>
>> BT 3 }146.940->APOBJ:!3444.27N/08631.98WrPHG7730 PL 100.0 Net Th 730PM
>
> Here's the beacon that I'm sending from the KPC-3+ digi. It isn't using an
> ambiguous position. It is going out with no path.
>
> BT }147.320+>APOBJ:!4846.05N/12330.38WrPHG5730 Salt Spring Island, BC
>
> Thanks for the info. I can't see any difference between the object that
> I'm sending out and the examples you gave except for the "3" after the BT
> in your examples and the fact that I'm not using an ambiguous position.
> What is the significance of the "3"? Is the UIDIGI capable of sending out
> multiple BTs? Does the problem you are describing only happen when the
> originating digi is a UIDIGI?

The "BT 3" command is a UIDIGI remote command to program the Beacon3Text as
UIDIGI supports 3 separate beacons that can be transmitted at various times.
The ambiguous position does not change the end result as we had one
programmed with the full position and observed the same results..

These were the setup conditions:

Beacon1Text = !3438.07NS08630.74W#PHG5630/W2,ALn    Huntsville Alabama
Beacon2Text = !3438.07NS08630.74W#PHG5630/W2,ALn    Huntsville Alabama
Beacon3Text = }146.940->APOBJ:!3444.27N/08631.98WrPHG7730 PL 100.0 Net Th
730PM

Beacon1Path   =
Beacon2Path   = WIDE2-1
Beacon3Path   = LOCAL
AuxPath          = AL2-2

Beacon 1 goes out every 10 minutes via no Beacon1Path.
Beacon 2 goes out every 29 minutes via Beacon2Path.
Beacon 3 goes out every 10 minutes 1 second via Beacon3Path.

Weather data received from the serial port is sent via the AuxPath every 3
minutes in the format:

!!000000A902E302A927F002EA0211----0070058900000000

Once the third party packet format was dropped we never seen the problem in
UI-View again.

I hope that helps explain the conditions a little better.

73's,

Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama