[aprssig] RE: "Local Info" confusion...

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Apr 24 12:47:58 EDT 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> When Alabama implemented this in all their digis, it was soon
> observed that all UI-View clients would mark the DIGIPEATERS
> as IGATES that were the source of these 3rd party voice repeater
> objects.

That isn't my observation here. There's a stand-alone TNC-based digi at my
elbow that is beaconing an object for the local repeater. I'm viewing it in
UI-View and it just shows as an "antenna" symbol and isn't marked as being
an IGate. I don't see a problem here, so nothing needs to be fixed, but I'm
curious why that would happen in Alabama.

Also, at www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html you say "Because of
errors in UI-View which prevents the display of PHG range data and also
prevents the use of the 3rd party format, we cannot use the very valuable
PHG data for showing the ranges of these voice repeaters." UI-View "out of
the box" doesn't display PHG but with the UI-PHG add-on that is freely
available, it does. I just checked and it displays the PHG just fine for the
local repeater that the digi is sending out as an object. What do you mean
by "errors in UI-View"? Someone reading that without prior knowledge of
UI-View might take it at face value.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH