[aprssig] Tactical call signs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 23 14:54:54 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Matt Werner wrote:

> Neither of those would affect the legalities of it.
>
> If it's digipeated then it's 3rd party traffic and the digipeater is
> responsible for IDing itself.  Same goes for an I-Gate.

Yep.  Notice I did put some disclaimers in there saying that some of
the things I was describing were bad practice.  Legal though.

You only have to identify a transmitter.  This means I can do that
simplex and via another mode like CW.

For the case of an old TNC doing digipeating on a "myalias WIDE1-1"
alias, I can set the morse ID to identify every 9.5 minutes and I'm
good as far as the FCC is concerned, even though the digipeated
packets as people use the digi don't have my callsign in them.
The older TNC's don't do callsign substitution, so doing CWID or
setting a beacon to go out every 10 minutes are the only ways to
identify them when used as a digi.