[aprssig] Tactical call signs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 23 14:06:13 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> Are these legal on the APRS-RF network? For example, let's say I wanted my
> igate to beacon on the RF network as "LNXIGT" or "ETNIGT", as long as I
> inserted my callsign in the comments field would that satisfy ID
> requirements? Would this be an acceptable practice? I've toyed with the idea
> of changing it on my D7 as well to something like "LNXMOBL" or "LNXPRTBL"

Yep.  Legal.  Not only that, you can even identify in Morse code
every 10 minutes and keep everything tactical.  That satisfies the
FCC identification rules.  Of course that last would probably be
considered bad practice, but it's certainly allowed.

Also, you don't have to identify with the same path or even any path
at all, so your FCC identification w/callsign can be simplex w/no
digipeater, while the rest of the packets could be 2 or 3 hops.
Again, probably not best practice, but legal.

I think most on here suggest that you DO put your real callsign in
your comment or status packets, and then of course make sure those
packets go out at least every ten minutes.