[aprssig] DIN vs DB9

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Sun Apr 22 23:51:05 EDT 2007

Here is my reasoning for opting to go with the DB9
instead of the Mini-Din:

1. The Deluo has a FEMALE connector standard on the
end of it's cable.  This is of course there to accept
a number of Deluo made adapters, including serial and
USB.  In order to use Mini-Din, I would have had to
put another PCB mounted female on the board and then
used a male to male extention cable to make the
connection.  This would have increased the cable
length by at least three feet, not to mention the
connector would have roughly doubled the overall
height of the adapter.

2. The DB9 "tracker" pinout has become very popular
and is already widely accepted as the APRS standard
thanks to people like Byon and Scott adopting it in
the TinyTrak III and OpenTracker devices.

3. The DB9 tracker adapter is readily available for
adapting the Deluo GPS to a device, like my power/data
adapter.  Many Deluo owners already have this adapter
for items like the above mentioned trackers.

4. I wanted somthing that could be bought ready to go.
 Sure, you can chop off the Mini-Din and put on your
own DB9, just as Scott said, but I fear too many
people will wire it wrong and burn up their Deluo GPS.

I was asked to create a simple, plug and play solution
to connect the Deluo GPS receivers to Kenwood APRS
radios, without having to modify anything.  Just use
parts that can be bought ready to go.

Hope that clears things up.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics