[aprssig] Prius - Photos of Install Now On My Website

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 14:02:13 EDT 2007

Rusty Hemenway wrote:
> Steve
>
> I have a Ford Escape Hybrid.  HF is almost useless when the vehicle is in
> motion.  S9 noise that increases upon using the brakes.  When coasting its
> its around S6.
> When parked there are no issues.  The engine starts and stops to charge the
> battery.  There is a full sized auto battery in the Escape.  Of course I
> only get around 31 mpg.  I've spoken with the maintenance managers at
> several garages and they have no idea how to reduce the RF noise.   Any
> ideas?
>
> I use a Yaesu 857 for HF and a D700 for APRS.  I've not seen much of a
> interference issue at VHF

The noise problem is identical to the Prius because the hardware is
identical to the Prius.  (Ford buys the hybrid power system from
Toyota.)   The problem is the same:  60KW of DC  power flowing through
semiconductor switches is going to generate significant diode white
noise as well as the discrete birdies from harmonics of the switching
frequencies.......

This is part of the reason I replaced the Prius with my current Jetta
TDI turbodiesel.....

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map