[aprssig] Why APRS mobile?

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at kd4rdb.com
Thu Apr 12 13:33:36 EDT 2007

Ahhh but a tiny trak or opentrak in mic-e mode is great for skywarn.... just
hook a TNC up to monitor the output of your local repeater and collect the
packet racket from teh mic-e bursts and relay them over to 144.39.  If you
use call sign swapping on the TNC (like a kpc3 or T2 tracker), you can make
the callsign of the TNC the numeric equivalent of the frequeency of the
repeater.... Ideally, the first hop W1-1 will be call sub'ed with the
repeater freq and then you know how to contact him by voice.  And when a guy
says he sees a funnel cloud to his west, you know where that is!

Wes

On 4/12/07, Richard N. Piper IV <richard.piper at media4god.org> wrote:

> I agree with Bob. In fact one reason to use APRS mobile is for Skywan and
> if I see someone that has a tracker and know he is also a Skywan spotter and
> can't contact him on APRS because he only has a tracker then what am I to do
> when I need him as a spotter?
>
> Just my 2 cents!!!
>
> --
> Richard N. Piper IV
> Executive Director, Media4God Ministries
> +1 (573) 517-8601 voice

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.