[aprssig] SSID for RF only Station with backup power

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 10 11:25:43 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Rick Green wrote:

> All this discussion of special identifiers for stations with exceptional
> UPS capabilities is moot:
>
>   In an emergency, when it is most necessary to identify such stations,
> they will be conspicuous by the fact that they will be the only stations
> beaconing anything at all!
> ...remember that one lonely rf-only digi in New Orleans, Pleading 'use me!
> Use me!' to deaf ears...

Imagine this scenario:  You are starting up an emergency net with
available stations soon after a major power interruption.  You start
recommending to others that they use XX digi and YY igate, perhaps
ZZ other resource.  Then one or more of them start disappearing.

It'd be good to know ahead-of-time which ones might be a bit more
reliable longer-term.

Other than that, I agree with you.  Given enough time it'll all sort
itself out.  ;-)