[aprssig] APRS DOS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Apr 1 12:13:13 EDT 2007

To Bob WBTAPR...

Hi Bob - I just replied to a query over on the UI-View list about APRS DOS
apparently version 852. Here's a report of parsing errors from findu.com
www.findu.com/cgi-bin/errorlist.cgi?call=VA3VA&last=24

20070401000541
VA3VA>APR852,WIDE2-2,qAo,VE3CTP:=4220.4NN/08256.3WW-.../.../Ed
in Windsor monitoring 145.470MHZ

The APRS spec calls for 8 characters for the latitude and 9 characters for
the longtitude. VA3VA appears to be using one decimal place and two NNs and
two WWs for the position report. Will you please comment on the double
characters?

For a test, I took a known good log file and played it back in UI-View and
then truncated it down to one decimal place and changed the N to NN and the
W to WW and it wouldn't display the positions. The original comment over on
the UI-View list was that this station wouldn't display in UI-View. It also
doesn't show up at findu.com except for the on the parsing errors page.

UI-View doesn't "do" ambiguity, but with the log file using one decimal and
a space followed by a single N or a single W, it displays a (non ambiguous)
position. However with a single decimal and the double NN or double WW,
it wouldn't display.

Note... VA3VA was using UI-View about 12 hours ago. It's while it was using
APRS DOS that it wasn't being displayed in UI-View or findu.com.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH