Clearing a stuck D700 without resetting it [was Re: [aprssig] Re: D7 Problem]

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Sep 28 21:01:11 EDT 2006

On Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 08:14:06PM -0400, Matt Hunter <Matt at 1-x.net> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I have ran into similar troubles before with my D700. Xastir and UI-View
> have left the TNC in a mode that I was unable to recover from.
> A simple press of the red button (lower right hand corner) and it has
> worked since.

Are you referring to the notorious D700 bug where it gets stuck in the
"Opening TNC" state when the computer connection is lost while the
D700 is reading a NMEA sentence from the GPS?

If so, there is a way to clear that state without resetting the D700, and
a way to avoid causing it --- Xastir has had those commands in its startup
and shutdown D700 configuration scripts for over two years, so it should be
very rare now (as in, only when you have a computer crash or shut down without
letting xastir go through its shutdown script, or you set it up to not use
those scripts).

For an explanation, see:

I think this is a different problem than Robert and Andrew are describing
(since Robert says that APRS mode works), but the D700 "Opening TNC" issue is
easily fixed without resorting to a hard reset and losing all your programming.

> Robert Michaud wrote:
> >Andrew,
> >
> >I think I would like to check the connection before I send it in for
> >repair. Is it hard or tricky to open up the D7?   Any thing to be cautious
> >about?
> >
> >Robert

[...]