[aprssig] APRS Network Analysis

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Sat Sep 23 13:58:35 EDT 2006

Interesting data.

Looks like the European APRS networks will be forced into adapting the North
American new settings.  It is just a matter of time before more and more of
their networks will have to follow suit.  This is due to, not only would
they have a more efficient APRS Network but the problem with our great
internet is that OLD pages do not get updated when major operational changes
are made.  New people researching the Internet for more information find
lots of USA pages with current recommended settings for the US which they
think are the settings they also must use regardless of where they are
located.  So right now, we still have lots of confusion as to the correct
settings.

The only real resolution is that we all use the same settings world wide and
people who have web pages out there need to update or just delete pages that
contain the wrong settings.  Keep in mind, there was a reason why we changed
our path settings.  It makes the APRS System more efficient, we just need
the few hold-outs to update their digi's to the new settings.

Sure would be nice if a mobile path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 would work WORLD
wide!  I can dream, can't I?

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info