[aprssig] RE: New EU Paradigm also Uiview32 and New-N for the USA

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 16:50:19 EDT 2006

Ron, when digipeaters are using WIDEn-N, then they will decrement by
one, like WIDE3-3 would become WIDE3-2, then the next digipeater would
decrement WIDE3-2 to be WIDE3-1, then the third digipeater would
decrement WIDE3-1 to WIDE3* and the digipeating would end.

If WIDE3-3, WIDE3-2 and WIDE3-1 were in the alias of all the
digipeaters, then all the digipeaters would repeat the WIDE3-3 and
stop.  Collisions would ensue because many TNCs will not wait and
listen if digipeating an alias, but they will if decrementing a
WIDEn-N.

I have 4 digipeaters in my area.  We tried to make new paradigm work
by using all aliases.  It didn't work.  Because there was no duplicate
checking of digipeated aliases with Kantronics TNCs each digipeater
repeated the same packet 3 or 4 times.  So if one guy came through and
transmitted a beacon with WIDE3-3, then each digipeater would repeat
it as many as 3 times, making 12 transmissions for every one beacon.
We ended that experiment pretty quickly.

So the answer for the NEWn-N paradigm isn't perfect, although it is
much better than before.  At least you can minimize that aspect of the
problem by not using WIDEn-1 as an alias.  Just let the digipeaters
decrement normally.