[aprssig] RE: New EU Paradigm

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Wed Sep 20 23:55:34 EDT 2006

It's easy for UI-View32 in KISS mode to be setup as a digi, a fill-in digi
or a full digi (instructions below).  But yes, that full digi sysop does
have to choose between whether WIDEn-N or TRACEn-N will be fully traceable
in their UI-View32 digi, but the other choice can still _operate_ correctly
too (except for producing the traceability in the digipath history).  That
change of which (WIDEn-N or TRACEn-N) is traceable can then be readily
phased in as more and more users use WIDEn-N.  hi
73, Cap

UI-VIEW SETUP FOR FILL-IN or EVENT DIGI, AND FULL DIGI, 2006

Here is what is required to setup UI-View32 to run as a "New n-N Paradigm"
digi.  Two configurations are presented, one for a "fill in" or "event" digi
that would only respond to WIDE1-1, and one for a full WIDEn-N digi.

-- Setting up UI-View32 to act as a fill-in or event digi.--

This type of digi is the least harmful to our congested VHF network.
You must be running your TNC in KISS mode to enable the digipeater in
UI-View32.

Go to Setup -> Digipeater Setup
Enable Digi is checked
UI Only is checked
Alias substitution is checked
WIDEn-n is not checked
TRACEn-n is not checked
Alias(es) has W6UUU,WIDE1-1 <substitute your callsign for W6UUU>
Sub Alias has W6UUU <substitute your callsign for W6UUU>
Dupe secs = 30
Digi routes has 1=1

Click on OK and you're done.

-- Setting up UI-View32 to act as a full WIDEn-N digi.--

This type of digi should only be setup if all your APRS neighbors have said
they agree they need your station to act as a full WIDEn-N digi.  Otherwise,
don't do it.
You must be running your TNC in KISS mode to enable the digipeater in
UI-View32.

This involves opening up a text file, editing it and saving it. I recommend
that you first save a copy of the original file so if something happens you
can easily revert back.

Open the UIVIEW32.INI file (located in C:\Program Files\Peak
Systems\UI-View32\) scroll down to the section named [DIGI_OPTIONS] and set
it to match this:

[DIGI_OPTIONS]
DIGI_ENABLED=TRUE
UI_ONLY=TRUE
ALIAS_SUBSTITUTION=TRUE
DUPE_SUPPESS_SECONDS=30
ALIAS=WIDE6-6,WIDE6-5,WIDE6-4,WIDE6-3,WIDE6-2,WIDE5-5,WIDE5-4,WIDE5-3,WIDE5-
2,WIDE4-4,WIDE4-3,WIDE4-2,WIDE3-3,WIDE3-2,W6UUU <substitute your callsign
for W6UUU here>
UIFLOOD=NCA <enables NCAn-N paths in Northern California (SCA for Southern
California, OR Oregon, NV Nevada, AZ Arizona) >
UITRACE=WIDE
WIDEN-N=TRUE
TRACEN-N=TRUE
SUBST_ALIAS=W6UUU <substitute your callsign for W6UUU here>
EXCLUDED=""
[DIGI_ROUTES]
1=1

And in the UI-View32 program:
Setup -> Station Setup: Beacon comment:PHG5110/W2,NCAn/New York City
<substitute your actual PHG and City here>
Setup -> Station Setup: Symbol:No.Digi O'ly:S