[aprssig] Rant - Cross platform portability

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 13:36:57 EDT 2006

aprs at mulveyfamily.com wrote:
> Brian Riley wrote:
>
>> I would point out the LimeWire is a java app and its distribution to
>> 'clueless end-users' is both enormous and quite successful.

I have recently had a chance to see the same version of a large
graphics-intensive application written in Java work on two different
platforms at the same time.    This experience has now made me a
believer that "real" complex programs (not just frivolous "widgets" on
Web pages) can be written, and made portable, in Java.

Imaginova's "Starry Night" bills itself as "The world's most realistic
astronomy program". It is a very sophisticated photo-realistic sky
map/planetarium program that lets you see the night sky for anywhere on
earth any time in the previous or future 10,000 years. It accurately
reflects daylight, sunset, fades into twilight and finally dark in real
time (or you can "turn off" the sun to see the stars in the daytime
sky). Optional controls allow you to add haze, smog and urban light
pollution to the view (reducing the number of stars visible).

It allows you to see the sky from any body in the solar system.  (You
can even pilot a space ship at "warp speed" throughout and beyond the
galaxy with correct perspective view.) When you place yourself on the
moon, you actually see the earth with the correct part of the world
facing you with the correct day/night grey line display.  It also
accounts for a vast list of satellites and space probes.  From the
normal earth view, you can "see" geosynchronous satellites such as
Echostar (Dish Network) and Rock 'n Roll (XM Radio) stationary in your
southern sky while GPS, Iridium, US and Russian spy satellites, the
space station, Sirius Radio,  and Oscars slowly drift across the sky in
real time.  [I added the Keps for PCsat so I can see it also when it
passes over.]
        When you zoom in close  enough on planets, the point objects
become visible disks (they're actual photographs) showing the correct
phase) with their moons circling in real time.  Mars Gobal Explorer and
Mars Express actually show up circling Mars, and Cassini shows up around
Saturn.  A recent Internet-download update has even added the New
Horizons/Kuiper Express probe.  Weekly Internet downloads update the
satellite data to correct for atmospheric drag, gravitational
perturbations, etc.

You can turn on or off three different overlaid coordinate systems on
the sky view (local AZ/EL:, RA/Declination, and Ecliptic), As you hover
you mouse over any of 25,000 plus objects in the sky, a detailed list of
information about that object pops up, including it's current
RA/Declination out to 6 decimal places, updated several times a second.
The program can even control telescopes with ASCOM-compatible computer
interfaces. Just click on an object in the on-screen sky view, and the
telescope will be moved to that object in the real sky.

I have installed and run Starry Night on several PCs.  This is a huge
program (mostly the photo-realistic graphics and databases I assume)
that installs from a set of THREE CD-ROMs. For the first time last week,
I watched a friend install it on a Mac.  The CD ROM is billed as a dual
PC/Mac install. I had assumed that there were two completely different
file systems on the CD, one showing up to Windows and a separate one,
with a different version of the program visible under the Mac OS's.  [A
number of programs with both Windows and Mac versions are distributed
this way.]

Instead, I was amazed to see the very same compressed archives that
unpacked and installed on the PC, unpack and run with an absolutely
identical presentation on a Mac G4.     (The only difference was a
different un-archiver/installer  utility that is apparently written in
native Mac code -- don't know if it would run on the new Intel-based Mac
-- perhaps the Intel-based installer can run on both PCs and Intel
Macs)   The program does require as a prerequisite, on both platforms,
that Java2 Runtime 1.5 and QuickTime  6.x or higher be  present.

As befits a truly portable program, Starry Night does not get entangled
with the Windows Registry, shared DLLs and system files, etc.  It is
completely self-contained (except for the Java and Quicktime
Runtimes).   I copied it over my LAN from one PC to another without
benefit of a formal install, and it worked perfectly on the second
machine.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com