[aprssig] APRS antenna for an airplane

Joe Della Barba joe at dellabarba.com
Sat Sep 16 11:08:56 EDT 2006

I have used a rubber duck on a suction cup extension cable. I have also
used a wire dipole taped to a window, a spare aircraft-band antenna that
was intended for an aircraft band H/T, and a 1/4 wave mag mount on
Cessna landing gear. All of the above have done fine for APRS tracking
with a 2 meter H/T. If you own the airplane there are plenty of aircraft
antennas available for VHF business band that would work fine.  Or you
could buy a wire aircraft antenna and trim it down a bit.
73
Joe N3HGB