[aprssig] Winlink

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Thu Sep 14 09:02:42 EDT 2006

Hi Curt
            The SCS modem can be considered a TNC. Since it uses the
same commands as a TNC does. Yes it has more and different commands
also. But for example to make a connection the command is.
Connect WE7U [enter]

So I would suggest that you go to the SCS web site and down load
their manuals and you will see that you can make this GUI without
having a SCS unit.

Of course you would need a unit to test the software prior to its
release.

On 14 Sep 2006 at 5:51, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> So Airmail is just a GUI front-end to command-line functions?
> Similar to all those old programs that make TNC's easier to use for
> connected-mode operations perhaps?
>
> If so, it should be awfully easy to make an ncurses or GUI front-
>end
> to the modem for Linux/Unix/MacOSX.  If I had one of these modems I
> could play a little with that.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons:
>http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
> "The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate
>system!"

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs