[aprssig] Winlink

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 13 18:31:33 EDT 2006

You don't "dial up" a Telpac node, you connect to it over the air via
regular old connected mode packet on 1200 baud VHF.  Once connected you
will be in a simple command-line menu system like the old packet BBS's.
Those who choose to run Airmail will have simple one-click icon's to
connect, select various gateway stations, and send/receive e-mail almost
as easily as using Microsoft Outlook (or whatever program you prefer).
Those who connect "manually" and use the command line interface will
have some advanced Winlink functions disabled.  Another reason to use
Airmail.  But it still gets the job done.