[aprssig] APRS Telemetry

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 6 21:32:34 EDT 2006

> Finally, I am opposed to using an icon for alternate power,
these
> stations are digis or weather stations or home stations. The
> function of the station is what the icon should represent, not
the
> power source.

Agree.  Digis or WX stations should still use the DIGI or WX
station Symbol.

But a few people who have invested thousands of $$$ in their
alternative energy systems and are living off grid, and are
"living green" so to speak, it is a way of life.  And to them,
their home station and entire home runnig off of alternate
energy is something they may want to indicate instead of just
another little house symbol.

That was the intent behind the Symbol idea.
I agree, just because a digi has backup solar power, should not
cause it's symbol to change.  But if it is a KPC-3+ and it does
send out it's telemetry packet, then it would make sense to
offer a standard format for that packet so that those who have
not yet implemented it, would have a target.

Agree, it would not be part of the APRS Spec, just a side list
of existing applications so people could choose come commonality
if they desire.

De WB4APR, Bob