[aprssig] APRS Telemetry

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Sep 6 11:46:29 EDT 2006

On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:31 AM, <scott at opentrac.org>
<scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> I'm not too keen on overloading the TOCALL with yet another
> meaning.  I'd
> rather see some sort of extensible telemetry format that includes unit
> specifiers.  Field labels in a separate message would be nice, but
> I say
> ditch the coefficients and put the conversion burden on the
> originating
> device.

Bob's goal here seems to be to make a standard for the KPC3+, which
does not have the option to have the device do the conversion. The
field labels in a separate message exist, as does sending the
coefficients on the air.

I think it would be fine for Bob to create a voluntary standard set
of these for KPC-3 users, for those that wish to use them, but they
should not be part of the APRS spec.

I do think that using an OT or programming a PIC is a far better
choice for most people in this situation, lower power and lower cost.
In a custom device, it is far better to use the user-defined formats
to support this sort of data rather than defining subsets based on
yet another overloading of the tocall.

Finally, I am opposed to using an icon for alternate power, these
stations are digis or weather stations or home stations. The function
of the station is what the icon should represent, not the power source.

Steve K4HG