RE: [aprssig] Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS) for APRS

David Huff davidh at cf.distek.com
Tue Sep 5 12:29:55 EDT 2006

Have you looked at netstumbler? www.netstumbler.com  It has support for
reading GPS positions (it reads NMEA GPS data)  There are also similar
wifi mapping applications out there.
I have heard of companies trying to do this, one article I read said
they always seem to run into 2 problems.
1. Some Wifi systems change their SSID,(usually advanced configs, or an
easy way to allow changing security profiles) And mapping Wifi is a
changing thing, people are continually turning off changing or buying
new wifi equipment.
2. The Wifi connection cloud can be huge in some cases, the largest wifi
node can easily span a city block or more.