[aprssig] Fun with FloodAdvisor

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Sep 2 05:57:35 EDT 2006

On Sep 2, 2006, at 12:10 AM, Tyson S. wrote:

> A friend of mine became a ham specifically because of APRS and what he
> had hoped to be able to do with APRS. And that is to monitor small
> creeks where he likes to go kayaking that do not have a USGS water
> station installed. He wanted to make his own unit and just temporally
> install it in the portion of creek he wants to know about. When the
> level is right, take off early from work and hit the water! so will
> this thing work in a creek environment and do what he wants it to do?

If what he needs to know is represented by the water level at an
accessible point, and resolution of a tenth of a foot is adequate,
then yes, this would do it. Kayakers typically talk about flow rates
rather than levels, and FloodAdvisor does not measure rates. However,
I can imagine a pool in a creek, either natural or man-made, which
has a level which varies based on flow rates. FA would work great in
this case.

Steve K4HG