[aprssig] Where to from here for APRS ?

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Mon Oct 30 08:57:41 EST 2006

  I recently did a presentation to our local club about the history
and current status of packet radio. I brought up the seemingly
constant criticism that we are 'still communicating at 1200 baud" a
said to them, in essence, what AJ said here below. Just about any ham
2/440 talkie can be rigged to pass data (maybe not perfectly tuned,
but still very workable). Almost every ham has a computer and a vhf/
uhf rig using the sound card software they can get a digital station
on the air for almost no additional expense except an interface cable
the price of which is trivial by comparison.

Specifically in APRS, the hardware aspect aside, at the higher speeds
being talked about the TxD will take far more time than the short
APRS data payload offsetting most of the speed gain.

---
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <http://web.mac.com/brianbr/>  Tech Blog
   <http://www.wulfden.org/DiskShop.shtml>
    Home of the
       K107 Serial LCD Controller Kit   FT817 Power Conditioner Kit
       Tab Robot Laser Tag Kit            MSP430 Chips and Connectors
       Propeller Robot Controller         SX48 "Tech Board" Kit