[aprssig] Where to from here for APRS ?

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sun Oct 29 22:56:14 EST 2006

There will always be applications for low-bandwidth communications.  In
critical, real-world applications the sort of information you usually need
most can often be distilled down to a few words, or a few bytes.  Consider
some historical examples...

"HOOD SUNK"
"SOS SOS CQD CQD TITANIC. WE ARE SINKING FAST. PASSENGERS ARE BEING PUT INTO
BOATS. TITANIC."
"IT'S A BOY"

And some of these high-bandwidth applications don't necessarily NEED to be
high-bandwidth - they're that way because some people don't know how to
design for efficiency, or because it wasn't worth the trouble.  I saw a
great example of this recently at work, where a certain 3-letter government
agency came up with an XML-based sensor data interchange format that
resulted in file sizes of 20 megs or more for what came out to around 15 or
20 KB of comma-separated values.

As I've said before, I fully expect to see APRS eventually decline among
casual users once cell phone based tracking systems become ubiquitous.
Hopefully we can keep a critical mass to maintain the infrastructure for the
rest of us, though - I'd hate to see the APRS network die like packet
messaging networks did after everyone got Internet access.  Like the rest of
amateur radio, it'll have value for disaster response and communications in
undeveloped areas for a long time still.

Scott
N1VG