[aprssig] APRS and barcodes

Matt Hunter Matt at 1-x.net
Sat Oct 28 01:06:09 EDT 2006

Scott,

Yet another great idea. This would be extremely useful for a remote real
time data acquisition network for an inventory, disaster area(s), canoe
races, search and rescue exercises, or any object you wanted to bar code
and track. It leads me to think about what FedEx and all of the large
parcel companies use for some of their very remote deliveries. I'm not
exactly sure how they report data back to the rest of the world from the
truck, cellular modem? The trademark definitely hampers the commercial
applications.

The more I think about this idea, how helpful would this have been for
Katrina/9-11? You could have gone around and tagged a house, building,
person, whatever object and had it all report back to a central location
with whatever information.

I remember a distribution of Linux that was modeled for the use of
disaster information organization and interfaced with Google's mapping
program. I can imagine that they would be very interested in this.

You could even implement this idea with RFID.

Matt, KB1IKN

scott at opentrac.org wrote:
> Seems that serial barcode scanners are out of fashion these days.  A cheap
> USB keyboard wedge type cost me about $50 on eBay, with shipping - has a max
> scan distance of about an inch, and a scan width not QUITE wide enough to
> scan an express mail tracking number.
>
> A very nice Symbol handheld serial laser scanner cost me under $20 with
> shipping.  It works at a distance of about a foot, scans VERY wide barcodes,
> and is much sturdier than the cheap USB model.

<snip>