[aprssig] Too many digi's ?

Patrick Green pagreen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:35:12 EDT 2006

On 10/24/06, William McKeehan <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> wrote:

> I happen to agree with you - except for the small point that the cove
> mountain
> digi does not support WIDEn-N. A new digi is expected to go up in the same
> (or
> nearly the same) location soon (it was up for testing this weekend, but
> had
> some non-APRS related issues and was removed for further work). This new
> digi
> will respond to WIDEn-N.

I knew that he wasn't updated yet and this I thought was a seperate issue to
the case in point?

There is also a new WIDEn-N digi North of Knoxville, in North Anderson
> County
> (W4ACA) that provides coverage to the North where the cove mountain digi
> was
> dropping off. This digi provides a good link up into KY from the Knoxville
> area. I'm in favor of this digi remaining in place and acting as a WIDEn-N
> digi.

Actually, if WA4KJH-7 actually supported Wn-N, you would see the KF4OWQ-2
London, KY digi, because when in the Cumberland gap, I could hear both fine
and I could bounce via both of them when using a capatible path (WIDE1-1,TN
on the London side, and TN,WIDE2-1 on the TN side).  It's good to hear about
the new sites.

You say that "everyone" should be fill-ins...do you think that all stations
> should be fill-ins or just as necessary? These are the ones that I would
> like
> to see reduced in number.

This depends on what the network is trying to do.  If you design it to cover
50 watt mobiles, there are too many in the area, but it you are designing it
for HT style coverage you would want more.  That's why I was interested in
the receiver site digi project so when a 50 watt mobile rolls through an HT
coverage area, they get one W1 hop rather than 3 or 4 of them.  My work on
this area is stalled because APRSD just won't stop crashing in this
configuration.

On Thu, October 19, 2006 9:19 pm, Patrick Green wrote:
> > Seeing as I visited Knoxville, TN several times, I've made the following
> > observations:
> >
> > 1. The Cove Mountain digi should be the only Wn-N
> > 2. Everyone in the valley should be fill-ins.
> >
> > I've been able to hit Cove Mountain from Lenoir City to Bean station on
> an
> > HT.  Also it reaches London, KY in a single hop, and probably other
> digis in
> > other directions of a similar distance.
> >
> > This is my opinion only.  I don't live in the area so things may have
> > changed drastically since I've been there.
> >
> > 73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.