[aprssig] More efficient use of channel capicity throughshorterpackets

Patrick Green pagreen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:30:05 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Joel Maslak <jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> > My recommendation is to set ALL digis to 150 ms.  That is TXD =
> > 15.
>
> I think that is too long.  I think 100 ms is plenty if your TX radio
> will do it.

I've set my digi to 22 (220ms) and that's about the limit for the 1270C and
IC-2200H combo I have.  If I set it shorter, if I hear back to back
transmissions on my D7A, I will miss the transmission.  I use 200ms on my
D7A with no trouble most anywhere.

I agree that TXD is the biggest waste of bandwidth in APRS transmissions but
it's hard to set a value that everyone can agree on.  It should be a
regional setting.  Some digi's have radios that take awhile to sync up and
others have radios that can't use open squelch and true DCD...

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.