[aprssig] More efficient use of channel capicity throughshorterpackets

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 12 23:02:17 EDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Joel Maslak wrote:

> Even the slowest radio can decode this.  It's not a radio speed issue on the
> RX end if you run squelch open, as is recommended for packet.  Even sound card
> packet should be able to handle open squelch, so home stations don't really
> have an excuse at all.

Except for the thousands of people running TNC's that cannot do
open-squelch.  I suspect most of these would be home stations
rather than mobile or digi's.  One of the things Bob wanted to do
with APRS was allow all of these old TNC's that were sitting around
collecting dust to be used for the new purpose.  Of course there's
something to be said for requiring people to _not_ be using
15-year-old equipment too..

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer